Thursday, January 7, 2010

INTERNETS

So, may I first say, that getting the internet is… GREAT. Imagine Scrooge McDuck, rolling around in his money pile, but substitute the money for the internet and make the rolling a metaphor. Yes, exactly like that.


Almost two months in and I think I'm getting the hang of teaching.


Funny thing, the little ones I teach Friday (but they had to stop b/c one girl is too busy) had no idea that, in America, the toilet is in the same room as the bath. While that is understandable, as many American kids have no idea that Japan separates toilet from bathtub, their reactions were hilarious. "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? No way! I had no idea! WHAAAAAAT?" for like, 10 minutes afterwards. Then they gave me pictures they had drawn of me and were all "byeeee" and I nearly started crying T_T Those two were sooo good!


Oh yeah, and it's freaking cold here. Yeah, I know, it's not as cold as Wisconsin outside, but the teeny thing about houses here is that they have NO INSULATION. So, it's 29 degrees Fahrenheit outside and about that inside of the apartment. And we're cheap, so heating the place doesn't happen all that much. We eventually had to get a space heater. Mmm, nice.


The used bookstore people now know me, which is hilarious. I bout a whole bunch of Detective Conan, so they know me as the girl who bought lots of conan. I was also able to speak Japanese with them, which is nice. They now also say, instead of "irasshaimase" (a greeting that store owners/clerks say to customers) they say "heh, good morning" or "good afternoon" in that amused tone of "I see you're back again." I can also say that the Japanese games are awesome in that they have Japanese subtitles along with the talking. Great practice!


The convenience store near us have this food called "American dog." Can you guess what it is? Yup, Corn dog. But the best corn dog I've ever had. As Brad says, it has the right amount of American to dog. The breaded part is awesome, and if you put it in the toaster oven, the outside becomes slightly toasty and crunchy and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment