Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A bunch of days

Otherwise title as, "boy, I need internet"

Tuesday:


Well, Hiromi took us shopping in Okazaki at this HUGE mall called Aeon. No relation to the English teaching company. We got the last few things we needed, including a vacuum cleaner, and then rushed back for class at one. At 8:30 I went with Julie to Okazaki juku (cram school) for classes, which will be once a month. However, it was POURING the whole way there and back, and it was night, so I didn't really learn the way ^_^;;; Thia and I got hungry on the way back, so we stopped by Moss Burgers which, well, lets just say they love their tomato sauce. And onions. Great fries though.


In other news, there are STILL mosquitoes and they find me delicious. No seriously. We've had two in the apartment so far and I have 4 bites and Brad has…you guessed it, NONE. GRRR. Stupid bugs. I'm reacting to the bites a little worse here than at home, maybe b/c the mosquitoes are so damn HUGE here.


Despite the lack of an alien registration card, we've at least decided on what phone we're getting and what company we're going with. Each company has the exact same prices for everything, so really it's about choosing the phone we want. Docomo has the google phone, which is cool, but it's not for free. Not like the iPhone. Softbank has the iPhone and, with this new deal they have, the 8gb phone is FREE. And I don't mean, free on the spot, but you pay for it over your contract, no, totally free. Which then lead to the following statement: "well, if we want the cheapest phone, we should go with the iPhone." Which really amuses me, especially since the iPhone is so expensive at home. But here, totally cheap compared to the other phones. We're really tempted by the google phone, but it does cost money and we're pretty positive we can hack the iPhone so we can take it home and use it with AT&T.


Wednesday, we hope to get to the bank (which we can do with just a passport: hurrah!) Turns out, with the dollar being so weak, investing in Yen is the right decision now ^_^

Anyway, that's it for Tuesday!


Wednesday:


It's still raining and I'm still itchy. Japanese pens are great though! So thin and easy to read when you write with them.


It took a while to get bank stuff worked out. First we went to the Nishio Bank (nishishin) but they wouldn't give us an account until we'd lived in Japan for 6 months. Which is bullshit, of course. So we went across the street and asked to get an account at THAT bank. All they needed was proof of residence, so we went back to city hall (begged them to get us the alien registration card earlier) and got the paper. I then went to class and Brad worked out the bank stuff. We now have a bank account and Cash cards! (essentially debit cards). Two of the girls at the school have the swine flu, so they didn't come for classes which meant I had to fall back on flash cards. Then, the Okazaki juku class was a bit…rowdy. I hear Thursday's is even worse. Joy.

Thursday, is driving time. Well, that's it for now.


Thursday:


Went driving. AHHHHH. I think I'm doing ok, I'm mostly staying on the correct side of the road…I did hit a curb though T_T


We went to the book-off. Some of the Conan books are 105 yen, but the others are 250. So, I think once I get my paycheck, I'll go to the book off, grab them all for 105 yen, then go to the book store near us, who sells them for 200 yen, and get the rest. Ha HA! My clever plan. Otherwise, just classes and the last Okazaki class for today left. Things are starting to follow a pattern. Hopefully we'll get TV soon and internet (very important!).


Anyway, that's it for today, will post more later.

3 comments:

  1. Be careful, or those mosquitoes will give you SWINE FLU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look out for the 105 yen sections in bookstores. and find all the manga you want there. then go to the new section. the way they order that is all messed up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, who is Julie. YOu are going to Juku? Brad too? HOw are you Sweetie. I miss you and hoep that you are enjoying learning lots of Japanese!
    Thia wrote me and filled me in and sent a couple adorable kitteh pics with her lovely Sheon-chan.
    I want to send your package and wondering if you want me to send iron caps for you since you mentioned anaemia.
    A few more cards have come with money and checks.
    Love ya!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete