Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wednesday adventures

Today we did laundry. This was hindered by the fact that the hose kept spraying everywhere when water went through it, so breakfast was punctuation by moments of *pshhhh* "Brad it's spraying again!" "I've got it, I've got it!" and the he would run off and babysit the washing machine which was dancing about on the balcony. We pulled everything out of the washer, proud of having a moderately successful laundry washing. Then Brad reaches into the bottom and pulls something out. "What's this?" he asks. I take a look at it and we both realize what it is. It's the little plastic piece that is used to connect the hose to the spigot so that the hose doesn't get loose and, you guessed it, spray everywhere. The whole time it was in the bottom of the washer. Whoops!


Monday afternoon we got the gas hooked up, after a bunch of shopping, which meant that we finally had hot water. It was a big disappointment that morning when I woke up, my lungs all bronchitis-y and all I wanted was a hot shower and all I got was coooold water. We got the hot water, and our gas stove all connected up by the nice gas man who then showed us how to run it. Brad then boiled water! He was very proud of himself. This morning (Wednesday) I made breakfast which consisted of VERY WARM THINGS since it had gotten SO COLD over the night and we wanted to warm up. Our sliding doors face the morning sun, mostly, so we opened the curtains and warmed the apartment up with the sun. Our little bay window gets afternoon sun, so it warms the place up for the night too! Very nice. So after a breakfast of scrambled eggs and tea, we set about cleaning the apartment up and getting everything situated. It's now really feeling like home!


Otherwise, work is going well, I'm really getting the hang of things and all the students are so NICE! Not to mention Thia and Hiromi are so amazingly helpful, showing us around and taking us places. Things I'm really enjoying about Japan: Kotatsu, baths and futons. The kotatsu is just as AWESOME as I suspected. Our bath is just…WOW. So relaxing. Hard to get out and go to bed afterwards, all I want to do is stay in it! And the futon we got is sooooo comfy. We're still looking for quite a few things, but we'll get everything soon. Liz will appreciate this: when we have the bedroom set up for guests, the room is essentially one GIANT bed.


The nights are very cold, especially since we didn't know that our Air conditioner also was a heater. It was at the point last night where I woke up coughing and realizing I hadn't taken my NyQuil (thank you so much, Chris, for the box of cold medication! It's come in handy) and as soon as I stuck my hand out from under the blanket I yanked it back in and thought "screw that, I'll just lie here and cough." But aside from that, things have been going quite well. No idea when we'll get internet up in our place, but, boy will I be happy when we do!

That's it for us here for now,

Elaine out!

1 comment: