Monday, November 9, 2009

First full weekend in Japan

So, Friday was full of many things, but nothing too dramatic. We finally bought a blanket big enough for the futon (warm and TOASTY!), we bought hanten (traditional coats for inside…or outside maybe) and I picked up some Japanese Bubblicious bubble gum which tastes exactly like the ramune candy. Also, hilariously, the wrappers say "Cadbury's" on them which totally confuses me (bubblicious = American gum, Cadbury's = British chocolate). Yeah. In any case, got some time on the internet and grabbed a few shows that I missed in the states for watching later (wooo) and then went strait into classes starting at 1. BOY that was a trip. Classes from 1-2, 4:30-6:30, 7:30-9:30 (there are many classes in there, I'm just giving you the blocks of time I'm at the school). Luckily it turned out that two boys didn't have class, so we were able to run out and grab dinner (my first REAL ramen!). After dinner, we ran to the cake shop and I grabbed a slice of strawberry shortcake. Good, but not as tasty as Mitsuwa (I don't think they put kiersh in the cake. Sad times!).


Saturday we offered to help Sheon and Naomi, Thia's daughters clean out their father's house where they'll be moving in. It's VERY cluttered, but they said we're welcome to anything they can't keep and I figured, why not help out in exchange!


It was very fun work and their father was kind enough to treat us to lunch midway through. We managed to get two bookshelves and an electric bike out of it all, so all in all, a good day. There were also highly amusing moments like taking doors apart and smashing down a wall. We came back home eventually and had dinner and then watched stuff. Nice slow day compared to the weekdays ^_^


Sunday was another shopping day. We ran all over town trying to find a not OUTARIOUSLY overpriced TV. (most places had 19 inch screens for 800-900$. It was ridiculous!) We finally found one, a 22 inch for 300$, not bad! Now comes the joyous fun of trying to connect to the local television programs. Wheee.


We also went to the local used bookstore: right across the street! I must also mention that that's a DANGEROUS place for it to be with me and my book buying habit. Brad's making me wait until I get my first paycheck to buy them out. Heh, no, just kidding. But yeah, I still really want all the rest of Detective Conan. That's 44 books, or so, so about 60$ probably (the old books are only 100 yen each.) But it's better to buy them in yen instead of dollars converted to yen, so we don't lose money. Thus, the waiting (even if they have SOOO many other books that I want!).


Sunday night there was a party for us at the school. We met soooo many nice people and ate sooo much awesome food! (This one lady made the BEST chocolate cake.) Monday we plan to practice driving (EHEHEH ack) and perhaps go ask about cell phone contracts (we really need our own!) We also need a bank account. Hopefully our Landlord can help us find out what we need to do about that. Mostly, so we can pay him! Then, I teach classes by myself. I hope I do well!

2 comments: